What is in this article?:
Savvy health club owners and managers are looking beyond the big-ticket expense items to discover ways to trim expenses.
Areas for Club Savings
- Consider working with an auditing company.
- Shop around for better deals on your durable goods.
- Check your telecommunications bills to make sure you are not being charged improperly or to see if you can get a lower rate.
- Determine whether bundling your phone, Internet and cable service is cheaper for you.
- Examine whether buying your own servers and hosting your own Internet will save you money.
- Do preventive maintenance on systems.
- Cover pools at night to keep in heat and humidity.
- Install new energy-efficient lighting and motion sensors.
- Look into whether variable frequency drive motors (typically for pumps for heating and circulating pool water) might save you money.
- Consider installing destratification turbines and fans that recirculate warmer air from above into lower areas of the club.
- If you are in a state where the electric industry is deregulated, shop around for a new energy company.
- Check on your insurance rates to see if you can save with your current company or by going to a new one.
- Cross-train employees to do more than one job.
- Review scheduling to make sure you are not paying unnecessary overtime.
- Challenge property tax increases.
- Compare printing costs.