PITTSBURGH -- The University of Pittsburgh recently reopened its historic University Club after a $20.2 million renovation. The newly remodeled University Club building was originally built in 1923 and has been updated to include a fitness facility, a restaurant, a library, and banquet and conference rooms for use by university faculty and staff.
Memberships range from $15 to $45 a month, depending on the level of access. The university told local media that about 250 employees had joined as of the end of March.
The fitness facility has a full line of cardio equipment, including treadmills, upright and recumbent bikes and cross-training equipment. All the cardio machines are equipped with TV screens, and some include interactive gaming software.
The club also was outfitted with resistance training equipment and will offer a wide array of fitness classes, including yoga, Pilates and a variety of cardio, resistance and cross-training exercise classes.
The club’s fitness center is operated and staffed by the university’s department of health and physical activity, which also offers weight management, nutritional assessment and counseling.
The university purchased the building in 2005 for $3.1 million and began renovations in December 2007.