Good news in the club industry.
* Las Vegas Athletic Clubs (LVAC), for being named the city's best health club in The Las Vegas Review-Journal's "The Best of Las Vegas," a comprehensive poll in which the paper's approximately 534,000 readers voted for their favorites in Las Vegas. This is the 13th year the club has captured this honor.
* Fitness consultant Ken Alan, for being signed as a PowerBar Team Elite Athlete for a seventh year. The team consists of a selected group of internationally ranked athletes and fitness pros who represent the top in their field. Later this year, PowerBar, along with SPRI Products, will sponsor a national workshop tour with Alan for personal trainers and fitness instructors.
* Fitness Zone, for earning the Value-star Certified symbol of very high customer satisfaction. To achieve this, the Bel Air, Md.-based club had to pass Valuestar's rating process. A random sample was taken of the club's members, who measured Fitness Zone's performance for the past 12 months. In addition, Fitness Zone's record was examined for complaints, proper licensing and adequate insurance.
* Healthworks Fitness Center, of Boston, for hosting and co-sponsoring Spin 2000 Plus. The event benefited the Healthworks Foundation, a new nonprofit organization dedicated to women and children. More than $10,000 was raised from individuals and corporations participating in fitness classes and two Spin rides with Johnny G.
* Q-Sport, for creating Mental Health Miracles, a foundation dedicated to improving care for the mentally ill. The foundation's goal is to contribute to the following areas: educating the public about mental illness; providing prompt and accurate diagnosis; working with existing facilities and foundations; creating new and innovative programs; funding research; and working with the medical community.
* Ajay Pant, for being recognized with the 2000 Clinician of the Year Award from the United States Professional Tennis Registry (USPTR). Pant is the assistant club manager and head tennis professional at the Forest Grove Athletic Club (FGAC) in Palatine, Ill.