THOUSAND OAKS, CA — In what the participants are calling “an industry first,” Apex Fitness Group and World Gym International have teamed up as service partners to “knock down” the gym walls by creating fitness programs that meet the needs of non-gym members. This is the first time a fitness club chain — not just an individual club — has formed a partnership to reinvent the gym by building a fitness resource to reach those individuals who normally would not join a traditional health club facility, according to the companies.
The primary goal of the partnership between Apex and World Gym, which has nearly 300 gyms worldwide, is the creation of programs for individuals on their own terms, customizing fitness for every household. Plans potentially include no membership requirement, teaming up with local sports retailers on recreational sports conditioning, working with physicians and others on weight-loss programs, and partnering with neighborhood corporations on wellness programs.
“Only 14 percent of the population goes to a gym, that leaves 86 percent that we are not reaching,” says Neal Spruce, founder and CEO of Apex Fitness Group. “This program allows for fitness on their level with clubs participating in our program offering things like golf conditioning programs, weight control programs, and other sport- and fitness-specific programs with or without a membership to the gym.”
This venture will allow anyone purchasing a World Gym franchise to receive the complete Apex Fitness Systems license already built into the franchise purchase.
“The Apex name has always been synonymous with quality and integrity,” said Mike Uretz, chief executive officer of World Gym. “Those words make for a perfect fit with our outstanding team.”