We accept images through email, on a CD or a Zip Disk. We are PC based but also can accept Mac Disk too. Please save photos as a jpeg, tif or eps. All photos need to be 300 dpi and least 5 inches by 7 inches but preferably 8 inches by 10 inches for features.
Guidelines for Photographs
- We accept photos in electronic format via e-mail.
- When using a digital camera, use the highest resolution setting possible. The lowest pixel requirement is 1712 by 1368, which translates to a 4-inch by 5-inch photo at 300 dpi. The average file size for this size image is 2.5 MB. The shutter speed determines the amount of ghosting that occurs in digital images. For cover shots, we prefer them to be 300 dpi when they are 8 inches by 10 inches and in a vertical format, if possible. However, we will accept horizontal images as well.
- If possible, take both vertical and horizontal poses of each subject.
- Avoid strict product shots or group poses. Try to include a person in an action situation.
- Do not include manufacturer names and logos on products in photos. If it is unavoidable, adjust your shooting position to make the logo appear smaller.
- When movement is anticipated, use a tripod. This will at least eliminate any movement (however slight) of the camera. This is particularly useful for wide-open shots or longer exposures.
- We prefer digital images in .tif , jpg. or .eps format.
- Do not embed photographs in a Word document. Provide the images as separate files.
- Photos in PowerPoint are typically not usable.
- Remember that what might look fine on a computer screen, may not translate well to the printed page in the publishing industry. Unless taken with a high-end digital camera, digital photography is not usable.
- If you send the actual photos (rather than an electronic file), we prefer color slides or transparencies, though color prints are acceptable. If you must send black-and-white photography, we prefer glossy photographs in an 8-inch by 10-inch format. The key to quality black-and-white prints is good contrast.
- When scanning photographs, please scan as large as possible at 300 dpi. Our magazine dimensions, including bleeds, are 8 by 11 inches.
- Send color photography if at all possible.
- To eliminate the need for any subsequent retouching, clean up any clutter (a mop, coffee cups, ash trays, trash, etc.) before you take a picture.
- Include captions with all photographs.
- Provide descriptive captions for the photographs or illustrations that accompany your article. If the person(s) in the photo is identifiable, provide the name and title of the person as well as the company for which the person works.
- Captions should be succinct, but the reader should be able to cull a synopsis from them without referring back to the original article. Many readers read only the captions and look at the photographs. You want to lure them into the article by enticing them with the captions.
- Be sure to indicate who should receive credit for each photo.
- If you send hard copies of the photo, avoid writing on the backs of photos as ink from the back of one photo can rub off on the front of the photo below it.